Residents and businesses in Denbighshire are being encouraged to show their support for a campaign to secure £1bn of rail improvements to transform the North Wales and Cheshire regional economy and deliver 70,000 new jobs over 20 years.
The campaign is being driven by the North Wales and Mersey Dee Rail Task Force (NW&MD) and has the backing of the region’s eight local authorities, the Cheshire and Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership, the Mersey Dee Alliance, the North Wales Economic Ambition Board, the North Wales Business Council and the West Cheshire & North Wales Chamber of Commerce.
The Growth Track 360 campaign is calling for:
* Electrification of the line from Crewe to North Wales so the region can connect with HS2 services at Crewe, and fast London trains can continue to Bangor and Holyhead
* The doubling of frequency of trains between North Wales and Manchester
* Investment in new, modern, better equipped rolling stock
* New direct services between North Wales and central Liverpool over the Halton Curve via south Liverpool, which will open up a connection to Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
* Doubling of services on the Borderlands line between Wrexham and Bidston, through Shotton and Deeside.
Denbighshire County Council is asking its county residents and businesses to show their support for the project and complete a short questionnaire.
Leader of Denbighshire, Councillor Hugh Evans OBE, said: “This is a prime example of how councils, business and public sector leaders are all working together for the benefit of the local economy, linking communities with the planned HS2 line between London and the North of England.
“If successful, the Growthtrack360 campaign would lead to a massive boost to the North Wales, Cheshire and Wirral economies.
“This project would result in quality jobs across the region, with far better rail links and greater opportunities for business development. We really need the public’s help in showing the strength of support for the campaign.”
To show your support, please visit www.growthtrack360.com and answer six very quick questions.